A brand new episode of “Statesboro Cooks” is on air now! You can watch the 30-minute program featuring my St. Patrick’s Day menu on local cable Channel 99 at 7:30 p.m., 1 a.m. and 1 p.m. daily, or right now by clicking on the video below. Featuring the musical talent of lead vocalist and guitarist Justin Dukes of The Tiger Creek Band, this show was the most fun episode to film yet! Special thanks to Hunter Cattle Company, Sugar Magnolia Bakery & Cafe, and Simply Sweet Cakery for all your help in making the meal Some Kinda Good! Without further ado, enjoy the show and the recipes below. Cheers to St. Patrick’s Day!
“Statesboro Cooks” is a Georgia Southern University Department of Communication Arts multimedia communications team production.
Mixed Green Salad with Fresh Strawberries
- Organic Mixed Greens
- Seasonal, Fresh Strawberries, hulled and halved
- Candied Georgia Pecans, toasted
- Dried Cranberries
- Feta Cheese
- Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
Toss all ingredients (except dressing) together in a trifle bowl. Serve alongside Shepherd’s Pie and Irish Soda Bread. To candy pecans, dry roast the nuts in a saucepan until fragrant. Add about 1/4 cup of brown sugar, stirring until melted and coated evenly. Remove from the heat. For the dressing, combine equal parts balsamic vinegar and olive oil by whisking briskly. Add 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper. Dress salad lightly.
- 2 pounds Hunter Cattle Company Ground Beef
- 4 Large Potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 stick of Unsalted Butter
- 8 oz. Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 1 Bundle of Walker Farms Rainbow Carrots
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Corn
- 1 Large Onion, Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 1/2 Cups of Sharp Cheddar, Grated
- Bella D’ Olivia Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Flat Leaf Parsley, for Garnish
- Salt, Pepper, Dried Thyme
Fill a large stock pot with water and bring it to a boil. Liberally salt the water. Add potatoes and cover. Let boil for 20-25 minutes until fork tender. Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a cast iron skillet or 10-inch frying pan. Add in diced onion and carrots stirring until soft. Season with salt and pepper. After about 5 minutes, add in ground beef and brown. Stir in garlic. Season again with salt and pepper, adding in thyme. Incorporate peas and corn. Let cook for about five minutes. Drain potatoes and put them back in the same stock pot. Add in butter, heavy cream, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher. Grease a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Pour ground beef mixture into the dish. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over the top. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and slightly browned. Garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- 1 Cup Brewed Strong Coffee
- 3 Tablespoons of Irish Whiskey such as Jameson
- Fresh Whipped Cream
- CinnamonDirections:Stir three tablespoons of whiskey into one cup of brewed coffee. Top with a dollop of fresh whipped cream, sprinkle with cinnamon.